Monday, June 12, 2006

In Utah I had an acting agent and got sent on an audition. The "sides" (script section) that I was given described a girl who had just learned devistating news and basically felt her world had just collapssed around her.
To get in the "mood" I dredged up the most tramatizing event in my life at that point in time.

Any guesses?

My event was of a camping trip to South Mt. state park that Mom took all the kids on. After the actual camping we were getting ready to leave and Matt, Abby, and Becca all went ahead of us to take a load to the car. About 5 minutes after them left I asked mom if I could go and join them as well. She agreed and I set off.

About 10 minutes after I left I started think I should have caught up with them by now and that the trail look completely different than on the way up- but I rationalized it becuse I had seen a chain saw in the rangers truck when he stopped by the night before, so I kept going.
about 10 minutes after than I realised I was lost.
In the middle of the woods and had no idea where I had made the wrong turn.
Being a mature ten years old I did what I needed to do.
I sat down and cried "I want my mother!" kind of hopping it would make her magically appear but knowing it wouldn't. After I got that out of the way I stood up and started walking back down the trail to find where I had taken the wrong turn. I found the fork in the road that I hadn't noticed earlier and corrected my direction and got to the parking lot about 15 minutes later.

Matt, Becca and Abby were eating wild concord grapes at the stream off the parking lot and Mom turned up with Megan and Katie shortly after.

Wouldn't it be nice if the worst thing in your life could always be:
I got lost in the woods once for about 10 minutes when I was 10?

3 comments:

Matthew said...

I don't remember you getting lost... Did you even tell us about it?

kat said...

It sounds like you were lost for more like 20 minutes. And then you were gone for a total of 35 and no one noticed. Hmmm...doesn't it seem like a lot of our getting lost stories start out with "I wanted to do something and Mom told me to catch up with the people that have already left"...And she wonders why I still won't leave her side when we go somewhere together.

Terra said...

=) well Katie to fair South Mt. State Park is a REALLY easy hike- 1 mile with ONE fork in the road- the one I didn't see going up with mom and didn't see but took going down. Matt, Becca and Abby had no idea I was trying to catch up and I don't think I told anyone after I got down the trail.

And didn't you know I was a very mature 10 year old? =)