Wednesday, October 26, 2005

This is the Charlotte bus system

Ok, so last night I asked Jason what today looked like for him, which prompted him to let me know that he would be across town from 8am- 5pm.
I work 8am - 2pm about three miles up the road from our new apt. I did this so that I would be able to walk to work if needed.
He dropped me off at work at 7:30am, luckily the shop guys were already there and let me in because it was cold out side. That still leaves, how I'm getting back home as well as the fact that I wanted to go into UNCC today and do some work before I went to dinner at some "friends" tonight.
So, I looked up the CATS transit web page and put in my search criteria.
here it is:
3 trip itineraries were found
Shortest walking distance
View Map
Printer friendly version

Leave at: 02:24 PM
Total travel time: 2 hours, 1 minute
Transfers: 3
Routes: 200 - From Beatties Ford Transit Center , 200 - To Beatties Ford Transit Center , 7 - To Uptown , 11 - From Uptown
View trip details
Get Earlier | Get Later
Get Alternate
Fewest Transfers
View Map
Printer friendly version

Leave at: 02:31 PM
Total travel time: 1 hour, 54 minutes
Transfers: 2
Routes: 200 - To Beatties Ford Transit Center , 7 - To Uptown , 11 - From Uptown
View trip details
Get Earlier | Get Later
Get Alternate
Shortest trip time
View Map
Printer friendly version

Leave at: 02:31 PM
Total travel time: 1 hour, 54 minutes
Transfers: 2
Routes: 200 - To Beatties Ford Transit Center , 7 - To Uptown , 11 - From Uptown
View trip details
Get Earlier | Get Later
Get Alternate

To put this into a bit more perspective, Dad, Megan and I ran a 9 mile race (about the distance were talking about here) in 1.5 hours at about a 10 minutes a mile pace.
I can pay the city of Charlotte to take a third longer than I can jog to take me to the university.
Does anyone else see a problem with this?

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Public transport in the US stinks, but we did try to convince you to move to Europe.

Dave M. said...

I commuted on a bicycle for a couple years. I loved it.

Dave M. said...

Yes move to Europe where the countries argue about who gets to name their cheese "Fretta". You could live in Germany where the government must approve your childs first and last name. Or you could live in belgium and pay 80%+ of your income for taxes. Or live just about anywhere and be judged as an American mostly by the sewer line that we piped over there otherwise known as American TV. Oh and the public transportation would still suck.

Josh said...

that bus situation is ridiulous. boone has pretty good public transportation. but, i would expect better of charlotte. and it probably is better downtown.